Bang Pa-in Summer Palace
 Known as:  
 Description: Few miles down the Chao Phraya River finds Bang Pa-in Palace, a complex of royal residences first built in around the 17th century to serve as a summer palace of Ayutthaya kings. It was later abandoned and ruined until King Mongkut (Rama IV) restored the complex. Most of the buildings we see today were ordered to build during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V), who regularly spent his summers here with his royal consorts. Each building features different architectural style: for example Wehat Chamroon Palace, the only royal residence currently open to public, was built in a traditional Chinese style with materials imported from China while Aisawan Tippaya Asna Pavilion set in the middle of the lake features traditional Thai style embedded with colorful glass mosaics. On the other side finds a monument of Queen Sunanta, King Rama V's royal consort, and their son who were died in a boat accident. Bang Pa-in Palace is, slightly similar to the Grand Palace, divided into two zones: the outer zone for royal ceremonies and the inner zone that is reserved only for the king, his consorts and their small chikdren.

Places of interest in outer zone:

        Ho Hemmonthian Thewarat is the stone Prang (pagoda) under a banyan tree near the pond within the outer part of the royal court, where an image of a deity is housed. King Rama V ordered its construction in 1879 to replace an old shrine built by villagers as an offering to King Prasatthong of the Ayutthaya period.

        Aisawanthipphaya-At Pavilion A Thai design pavilion in the middle of the pond was built in the reign of King Rama V. Originally built of wood throughout, King Rama VI commanded to change the floor and pillars to be reinforced concrete.

        Warophatphiman Hall was formerly a two-story wooden villa served as a royal living quarter and throne hall. Later during his reign, King Rama V ordered the reconstruction, replacing with a European-style to serve as a throne hall for royal ceremonies.

        Saphakhan Ratchaprayun. This two-storey building was a resident of relatives of the king and non-consort members and is now an exhibition hall displaying the history of Bang Pa-in Palace.

Places of interest in inner zone:

        Phra Thinang Utthayan Phumisathian is a 2-story, pink-colored, Victorian style mansion serving as a residence for members of the royal family and their guests. The only mansion in Bang Pa-in Palace that is not open to public, this building is actually a new building ordered a construction by HM Queen Sirikit in 1938 to replace the old one, which was made of wood in Swiss chalet style and was burnt down in a fire accident.

        Wehat Chamrun Hall was the latest mansion during the reign of King Rama V, built in 1889 as the royal offering by the wealthy Chinese merchants led by Phraya Choduk Ratchasetthi (Fak). The mansion was crafted in traditional Chinese Emperor style and was used as a royal residence for King Rama V, his queen and their son, King Rama VI during a royal visit in the cool.

        Ho Witthunthassana: This three-storey, tower-style building was used as the view spot to see the royal elephants and the surrounding area. 
 Province Ayutthaya  Direction:
 District Bang Pa-In
 City Ban Len  Comments:  Official Web: Link to Official web site  
 Genre Historic  Related links: http://thailand.sawa  
 Best exposure AM/PM    
 Opening time n/a  
 Entry fee Palace fee GPS : 14.23183 N 100.57899 E  
Click here to go back to the previous page
 Bang Pa-in Summer Palace (all)  Doll's bridge
 Ho Hem Monthian Thewarat  Ho Withun Thatsana
 Memorial to Princess Saovabhark  Memorial to Queen
 Phra Thinang Aisawan Thiphya  Phra Thinang Uthayan Phumisathian
 Phra Thinang Warophat Phiman  Phra Thinang Wehat Chamrun
 Tevaraj-Kanlai Gate  Others

Site optimized for IE10 and Screen resolution above 1280X1024
Droits de reproduction et diffusion reserves
Copyright 2015 P-Lepetit.com / Asiaphotos.org
Contact: PatrickLEPETIT@hotmail.com