RIVERS AND KLONGS -  Chao Phraya Express Boat Trip to Ayutthaya  
 Known as:   Riva express boat trip to Ayutthaya    
 Description:   Boat trip organised by Chao Phraya express boat company (Riva Express Red Flag line) starting at Sathorn pier at 7am on Sunday. Cruise up to Bang-Pa-In for visit of either Wat Niwet or the Bang-Pa-In palace then road trip by double beck bus to a market for lunch. Depending on time, visit of a few temples in Ayutthaya  then back to the river port at Wat Pho Taeng Thai for the cruise back to Bangkok.  
 Province   Bangkok  Direction:      
 District   n/a    
 City   n/a  Comments: Only on Sunday  Official Web:    
 Genre   Rivers and Klongs      Related links:    
 Best exposure   AM/PM          
 Opening time   Departure 7am          
 Entry fee   Boat fee 1200THB     GPS :   N/A    
Click here to go back to the previous page
Chao Phraya Express Boat Trip to Ayutthaya  xx

Remarkable sites along the cruise:
00-Chao Phraya Express Boat :
Chao Phraya Express Boat has launch the "Riva Express" a premium air-conditioned service run with four catamaran boats imported from Australia. Each can accommodate 200 passengers on two decks, one being air-conditioning and the other one a sun deck with seats.
These boats are also used on Sunday for tourist cruise to Ayutthaya city.
01-Bangkok Buildings : 
Bangkok is a city teeming with life. It is also a city of contrast. It is here where you will find the most modern of buildings, being built around heritage sites and monuments - but being surrounded by religious houses, huge statues and the most gorgeous parks.
02-Iconsiam :
Iconsiam, stylized as ICONSIAM, and ICS is a mixed-use development on the banks of the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok, Thailand. It includes one of the largest shopping malls in Asia, which opened to the public on 10 November 2018, as well as hotels and residences.
03-Che Chin Khor Temple :
Large Chinese temple in a compound built by the Chee Chin Khor Moral Uplifting Society. The society was formed in 1952 to perform charitable works. The temple was just established on the bank of the river in 1993. The grand pagoda, given the royal name Mahathat Chedi Prajonchatri Thai-Chin Charoen, was officially opened in 2001 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the society and the 72nd birthday of His Majesty the King.
04-Kuan U Shrine :
This shrine is considered to be the oldest Guan Yu shrine in Thailand. Believed to be over 280 years old, built since the late Ayutthaya period in the reign of the King Borommakot (corresponding to the reign of Qianlong Emperor of Qing Dynasty) and said that before the King Taksin will do battle, he also came to worship at this shrine as well.
05-Kuwatin Islam Mosque :
A Persian merchant called Sheikh Ahmed immigrated to Siam in the 17th century and established his business in Ayutthaya. In the 1800s, another descendent of the family named Tat Bunnag became first a page, then a regent and subsequently the owner of the land next to the river. A group of Muslim Indian traders landed in Thailand, established connections with Tat and were given the land and the warehouse to make a mosque. The Goowatin Islam is still a fully operational mosque.
06-Santa Cruz Church :
Santa Cruz Church was built in 1770 during the reign of King Taksin (1868 – 1782). This Church of the Holy Cross is a legacy of Portuguese-Siamese relations that date back to the 16th century.
07-Wat Kanlayanamit :
Wat Kalayanamit Worahamawiharn is a second class royal temple. Initially, Chao Phraya Nikorn Bodin (Toh Kalayanamit) donated his house to Somdet Phra Nang Klao Chao Yu Hua (King Rama III), and bought the additional land nearby to build a temple in 1825. The king bestowed the name to the temple as "Wat Kalayanamit". Later, he built a royal wiharn, and also the principle Buddha image to enshrine inside, which is Luang Por Toh (or Phra Buddha Trai Rattanayok).
08-Wichai Prasit Fort :
The white-walled fort of Vichai Prasit was built in 1688 as part of a defence line of forts to prevent ships from sailing up the river to the then Siamese capital of Ayutthaya.
09-King Taksin Monument :
Part of the Royal Thai Navy Headquarters of Bangkok, a statue of King Taksin, taken from a shrine in the king's former palace, now stands at the riverfront, near the gate of the former Royal Thai Naval Academy.
10-Wat Arun :
Wat Arun was envisioned by King Taksin in 1768. It’s believed that after fighting his way out of Ayutthaya, which was taken over by a Burmese army at the time, he arrived at this temple just as dawn was breaking. He later had the temple renovated and renamed it Wat Chaeng, the Temple of the Dawn. It used to be the home of the Emerald Buddha before the capital and Palace was moved to the other side of the river. This can now be seen at the Grand Palace.The central prang was extended during the reign of Rama III (between 1824 and 1851) and is now one of the most visited sites in Thailand. It was also Rama III who added the decoration of the spires with porcelain so that they glimmer in the sunshine.
11-Royal Thai Navy buildings :
12-Wat Rakhang :
Wat Rakhang Khositaram, formerly known as Wat Bang Wa Yai, is an Ayutthaya period temple. During the Thon Buri period, the temple was reconstructed and upgraded as a royal temple by King Taksin the Great who ordered the construction of a palace in the area. The temple then became the residence of the Supreme Patriarch. Later in the reign of King Rama I the Great, a bell was discovered at Wat Bang Wa Yai. This bell was moved to Wat Phra Kaeo and five replacement bells were then built. The temple was named “Wat Rakhang Khositaram or Temple of the Bells” because of this discovery.
13-Siriraj Hospital :
Siriraj Hospital is the oldest and largest hospital in Thailand. It is in Bangkok on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, opposite Thammasat University's Tha Phrachan campus. It is the primary teaching hospital of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University.
14-Phra Pin-klao Bridge :
Phrao Pinklao Bridge connects the Rattanakosin Island to the Thonburi District. This 658 m long bridge is named after King Pinklao. He who was the brother of Mongkut, King Rama IV, who made him the viceroy of Siam from 1851- 1866. This bridge was completed in 1973.
15-Rama VIII Monument :
A statue of Rama VIII is in the middle of King Rama VIII Park and near the big cable-stayed bridge bearing the same name.
16-Rama VIII Bridge :
The Rama VIII Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge crossing the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok. It was built to alleviate traffic congestion on the nearby Phra Pinklao Bridge. Construction of the bridge took place from 1999 to 2002.  Its total length is 475 m and its highest point is at 160 m above the water.
17-Wat Kharuhabodi :
Near the Chao Phraya river stands the atypical Chedi of Wat Kharuhabodi whose golden tip mixes spherical and circular shapes. This stupa houses a fragment of the Buddha's bone from Kapilavastu, the capital of the Shakya clan to which the Buddha belonged. These relics were discovered by an English archaeologist in 1898.
18-Krung Thon Buri Bridge :
Krung Thon Bridge is a bridge over the Chao Phraya River connecting the districts Dusit and Bang Phlat. The bridge has 6 spans, and consists of a steel superstructure resting on concrete piers.
The construction on the bridge began on August 31, 1954 and was completed in late 1957, the bridge was first opened to traffic on March 7, 1958. The length of the bridge alone is 366.20 metres, with a 185.50 metre approach on the east side of the river, and a 97.20 metre approach on the west, for a total length of 648.90 metres. At its central point, the bridge is 7.5 metres above mean sea level.
19-MRT Blue Line :
The MRT Blue Line has a total distance of 48 kilometers, comprising of 38 stations as follows:
The M.R.T Chaloem Ratchamongkhon Line Project, Hua Lamphong station - Bang Sue station, distance 20 kilometers , 18 stations. The MRT Blue Line Extension comprising of 4 underground stations and 7 elevated stations at the total of 11 stations, distance 13 kilometers, a total of 8 elevated stations.
20-Wat Wimut Yaram : 
21-EGAT North Plant :
The site of 850-MW North Bangkok Power Plant covers an area of 60 rai next to EGAT Head Quarters and North Bangkok Power Plant Block 1 in Bang Kruai District, Nonthaburi Province. It is a singled shaft combined cycle power plant which depends on the cooperative work of gas turbine, steam turbine, and generator. It uses natural gas supplied from 2 sources namely Myanmar (western side) and the Gulf of Thailand (eastern side).
22-Wat Kien :
23-Wat Salak Tai :
24-Wat Chaloem Phrakiat Worawihan :
This royal monastery in Soi Chalerm Phrakiat 15, built in 1847 by order of King Rama III, was dedicated to his majesty the king’s grandparents and mother. Located in a very peaceful and shady area, the Temple has completely reflected King Rama III’s most favorite style that combines chinese art in constructing the monastery.
25-Bhumirak Chaloemprakiarti Park (Kanchanaphisek Park)  :
With an area of 40 acres, this park was commissioned by the Treasury Department to mark the 50th anniversary of His Majesty King BhumibolAdulyadej’s ascension to the throne, and as a recreation spot for the general public. The park has a fine collection of water plants, garden plants and aquatic animals. Inside the park, a walk-through pavilion is surrounded by three traditional carved wooden pavilions, made of teak, primed with pure gold leaf and decorated with beautiful glass.
26-Maha-Chesadabodindranusorn Bridge :
Maha Chesadabodindranusorn Bridge is the first extradosed bridge in Thailand. The bridge was named after King Nangklao, one of whose titles before his accession to the throne was "Chesadabodin" The Bridge bridge is 200 metres long and with the total length of 460 metres. Construction began in May 2012, after having been delayed for two years, and took around thirty months.
27-Traditionnal House :
28-Wat Sai Ma Tai :
Wat Sai Ma Tai is an old temple dating back to the Ayutthaya period. It is notable for the Luang Pho Yai image which is over 700 years old.
29-Wat Daeng Thammachat :
Wat Daeng Thammachat is a classic Buddhist monastery situated on the right bank of the Chao Phraya River. Don't miss the large Buddha image in a meditation pose protected by a naga snake (Best view is from the river in the morning).
30-Wat Choeng Len :
With an area of 16 rai this temple was established in the middle of the Ayutthaya period and also presumed to be built along with Wat TaiAow and Wat Choeng Tha, which are located on the east of the Chao Phraya River.
31-Ko Kret area :
Ko Kret is a small island in the Chao Phraya River, just north of Bangkok. It’s known as a settlement of the Mon people, whose famed terracotta is on display in the Kwan Aman Museum. This traditional earthenware is still produced in potteries along the river. On the northeastern tip of the island, Wat Poramai Yikawat is an important Buddhist temple featuring a reclining Buddha and a leaning stupa.
32-King Rama V Monument :
33-Mon Pagoda - Ko Kret :
The most prominent temple of Ko Kret is Wat Paramai Yikawat, an ancient Mon temple on the banks of the Chao Phraya river. The most notable thing of this temple is a leaning white Mon style chedi at the corner of the island where the Chao Phraya river and Lat-Kret with Om-Kret meet. It is considered a landmark of Ko Kret.
34-Wat Bang Tanai :
35-Wat Ko Kriang :
36-Pathum Brewery :
Boonrawd Brewery Co., Ltd. (Branch of Singha bear) was founded in 1992, afterwards, the company’s name has been changed to Pathum Thani Co., Ltd.; with 1,860 million baht authorized capital and 600 employees approximately on its 25-rai manufacturing area.
37-Wat Salak Nuea :
38-Wat Chong Lom :
39-Nonthaburi-Bang Bua Thong Bridge :
40-Wat Chin Wararam Worawihan :
Wat Chin Wararam Worawihan is an ancient temple formerly called Wat Makram. In the temple there is a mural of beautiful statue. Inside the parvilion, there is a replica of the Buddha footprint.
41-Wat Nam Won :
Wat Nam Won is popular for its folk medicine treatment especially for bones. The originator is Master Rumpa which has already passed away. However, the recent abbot has descended this treatment from Master Rumpa.
42-Pathum Thani area :
Pathum Thani is a town in central Thailand, directly north of Bangkok. It is the capital of the Pathum Thani Province, as well as the Mueang Pathum Thani district. As of 2005, it has a population of 18,320, covering the complete sub-district of Bang Parok.
43-Wat Kai Tia :
44-Wat Bua Thong :
45-Wat Chedi Thong :
This Temple is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River 8 kilometers from Pathum Thani Town. Inside the temple lies a Mon-style Chedi, or stupa, constructed during the early Rattanakosin era approximately 160 years ago. The temple's architecture imitates the Burmese "Chittakong" stupa. In addition, a respected white jade Buddha image is enshrined at the temple.
46-Samkhok Tower :
47-Wat Bot :
Wat Bot was constructed in 1621 by the Mon ethnic minority group, whose members had migrated from Pegu or Hongsawadi town. The name of the temple was borrowed from the Mon people's former home, similar to many other temples in Pathum Thani such as Wat Hong, and Wat Bang Tanai. Locals nowadays travel to pay their respect to three Buddha images in the shrine hall and the cast statue of LuangpuThian (PhrakhruBowonthammakit), a highly knowledgeable senior monk who was also an advocate for education.
48-Wat Thai Ko Yai :
The Raman style Schwedagon pagoda is the biggest pagoda in Pathumthani. It is built from bricks inside the glass walls. Its shape is bell-shape with Mon style octagonal based on the lotus-flower-shaped ridgepole base. The upper part of the base has 4 small pagodas which are the same shape as the main pagoda. The pagoda’s top is the coronation which is made from brass.
49-Wat Pho Taeng Thai :
50-Bang Sai Arts and Crafts Center :
The Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Centre has around 1,000 rais of spaces. The Centre is the source of learning in the field of traditional Thai wisdom, specifically Thai arts and crafts. Key operation is based on training and promoting supplementary occupations for local people during their pause from agricultural routines. Her Majesty Queen Sirikit had presided over to officially inaugurate the Centre on 7 December 1984. Bang Sai Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Centre comprises several buildings, which are 32 craftsman workshops, such as Yan Lipao weaver, silk weaver, ceramic maker, carver, glassblower, Teen Chok silk weaver, Khon mask maker, etc.
51-Wat Phra Christ Prachak :
Wat Phra Christ Phra Haruthai is influenced by Gothic Western architecture, beautifully decorated with stained glass and wall paintings (later painted). The structure of the chapel is a wall bearing releasing weight to the wood pile with the plastered brick walls. It has been restored in April - May 2013 on the donation and philanthropy of Ban Phleng Christians. The restoration has maintained the same condition as since the chapel was built.
52-Bang Sai rice fishing raft :
53-Wat Sanamchai :
Old Chedi on the river bank dating from the Ayutthaya period
54-Nurulhuda Mosque :
55-Balen Island Lighthouse :
On the southern end of Balen Island is a Light House. It was constructed at the same time as the Wat Niwet Thamprawat to act as a beacon for boats carrying supplies to both the Temple and Bang Pa-In Palace.
56-Balen Island Monument :
57-Balen Island Cable Car :
The most unique feature of the Balen island is the method of entrance and egress, which is a simple cable car system operated by the monks of the temple. The 2 cable car are accessible from the Bang Pa-In Palace Parking area. ​
58-Balen Island Wat Niwet :
The Temple was constructed in 1867 under orders from King Rama V, who wanted the temple to have the architectural style of a Western cathedral. The building is Gothic style and beautifully adorned with colorful stained glass. Inside the temple, the principal image of Buddha and his followers are placed to resemble the alter of a Christian church and not a traditional Buddhist Church. It is the work of Austrian-Italian architect Joachim Grassi.
59-Kong Khong Market (Gong Khong market) :
This market has the weird name because, in the past, vendors would lay their merchandises on the ground. People who wanted to buy such merchandises had to bow their heads down in order to take closer look at the merchandises.
It is a private market with the objective to allow the locals to have some space to open their shops. This market is opened from Thursdays to Sundays. On Thursdays and Fridays, customers are the locals while during the weekends, customers are mainly tourists.
60-Wat Yai Chaimongkol :
Wat Yai Chaimongkol was built by King U-thong in 1357 A.D. for the use of the monks who had returned from Ceylon after studying under Phra Vanarat Maha Thera.
Its large chedi of 60 meter tall bell shaped can be seen from a great distance.
61-Wat Phanan Choeng :
Wat Phra Phanan Choeng was built in 1324, 26 years before King U-Thong founded Ayutthaya. Its main building enshrines a huge, seated Buddha image, measuring 14 meters at the lap and 19 meters in height including the ornament above the head.
62-Wat Sala Daeng Nua :
Wat Sala Daeng Nua exhibits several holy and interesting attractions including a perforated pulpit, sermon hall, central chamber and ancient water filter. Additionally, Wat Sala Daeng Nua is considered as one of the major learning destinations in Pathum Thani province, where its Buddhist monks are very keen on praying in Mon language.
63-Shrimp Monument :
64-Wat Song Phi Nong :
It is located in Tambon Ban Ngio, on the bank of the Chao Phraya River above Wat Phai Lom. It was constructed in 1867. There are two sacred Buddha images residing on the bank of the river which are Luangpho Phet, a laterite Buddha image in the subduing Mara posture reflecting the U Thong art and Luangpho Phloi, a carved stone one, also presenting U Thong art. The latter was stolen. Therefore, it was rebuilt by the temple and has been respected among the boatmen and the public.
65-Traditionelle House :
66-Clay Brick Kiln :
67-House :
68-Traditional Village :
69-Commemorative building for Queen Sunantha Kumarirat  :
Sunandha Kumariratana, born in 1860, was a daughter of King Mongkut (Rama IV) and Princess Consort Piam Sucharitakul. She was a half-sister and the first queen consort and one of four queens of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). On 31 May 1880 Queen Sunanda Kumari Ratana, pregnant at that time and her 15 month old daughter Princess Kannabhorn Bhecharatana drowned when their boat sank in the Chao Phraya River at Bang Phut in Pak Kret District (Nonthaburi), while on the way to Bang Pa-In Palace. The Palace Law, dating from the Ayutthayan era, was harsh. All staff had to leave immediately the boat when the queen's barge sinks. The staff was only allowed to extend battering rams and throw coconuts to cling to. They were forbidden by law on pain of death to touch the queen, not even to save her life. Apparently coconuts where thrown to her to cling on, but she was unable to reach them as she could not swim.
70-Wat Klang Kret :
It has been assumed that this temple was built in the late Ayuttaya Period as you can see from the wooden sculpture on the pediment of the temple and the feature of the principle Buddha image. There are Buddhist sanctuary, monk's house, and sermon hall inside the temple. Besides, there are many other holy things to be worshipped such as the big Buddha image in the attitude of subduing Mara and the reclining Buddha.
71-The Politan Aqua :
The Politan Aqua is a condo and apartment project located in Bang Kraso, Nonthaburi and was completed in Jun 2020. It has 2741 units across 61 floors and was developed by Everland Public Company Limited.
72-Nonthaburi Clock tower :
The clock tower stands tall and proud as it serves the people by making them value time each day. This big clock also serves as a landmark in Nonthaburi that helps the tourists in finding exact places as they use the Central clock tower as a reference point.
73-Rajini School building (Sunanthalai Building) :
The Sunanthalai Building of Rajini School was commissioned by King Chulalongkorn in 1880. It was named in memory of Queen Sunanda Kumariratana, one of his four queens, who died that year. Attributed by some sources to Italian architect Joachim Grassi, the building is designed in the neoclassical style. The building's two floors are recessed behind arcades spanning the entire width of the front façade. The front of the building was originally crowned with a tiered octagonal dome-shaped roof topped with a lantern tower, but this had been removed sometime between 1917 and 1946.
74-Holy Rosary Church :
The Holy Rosary Church, also known as Kalawar Church; from Portuguese: Calvario), is a Roman Catholic church in Bangkok. The history of the church dates to 1769, when a group of Portuguese Catholics resettled in the area after the fall of Ayutthaya; the current church building, in Gothic Revival style, was built in 1891–97 on the site of two previous structures.
97-Others :
98-Industrial Sites :
   99-Barge and Tug Boats :
A barge traditionally has been used for the transportation of low value bulk items as such haulage cost is low. These may be self-propelled or moved with the aid of a tugboat. A tugboat helps vessels manoeuvre in a crowded water channel or moves vessels that do not have power of their own, for example, barges. Tug boats are powerful ships for their size, strongly built.
Site optimized for IE10 and Screen resolution above 1280X1024
Droits de reproduction et diffusion reserves
Copyright © 2015 P-Lepetit.com / Asiaphotos.org
Contact: PatrickLEPETIT@hotmail.com